Friday, June 18, 2010

Heading up north.

Bags are packed and the car is loaded! We are heading up to northern Minnesota to spend time with the family and get some fishing in. This will be the first time driving from South Dakota so it will be a much shorter drive than in years past. The lake we go to is exactly 8 miles around and one of my favorite runs in the world so I can't wait for that - no lake swimming this year since I won't be doing any triathlons anytime soon...my bike was stolen.

This will be dad's last "hoorah" before starting on his chemotherapy so hopefully this will be a year to remember with better than average fishing. He's already been making light of everything saying that cleaning fish will probably hurt his cancer so he'll need everyone else to. I think that despite the fact that kidney cancer is incurable - he will never go into remission - we have a pretty happy and light outlook. It won't do anyone any good to be down in the dumps. Positive energy, the unspoken kind, is so powerful.

Since I am the active one and healthy eater in the family, I am taking on the role of his dietician and fitness coach. Will he listen to me? That's still up for debate - he's one of those types who knows everything so I'm not sure I can break through that, but you are darn sure I am going to try.

Well I am signing off for the week. I am sure I will have a lot to say next Saturday. I need to find a higher purpose for this blog since I am done moping...that is my goal for the week. If anyone is reading this - have a great week and thanks for keeping us in your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Liz,
    Please enjoy your time fishing and please don't think of this as a "last time" for anything - I was diagnosed in 2000, went Stage 4 in 2003, and am still here kicking! RCC patients seem to be pretty tough cookies on the whole and it sounds like your dad is going into this with a postive attitude; my docs insist that attitude is 90% of the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long have you been doing triathlons?

    I hope you had a nice weekend with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RCC - we had a great week and I didn't once let myself think that it was the last time - he is so tough and healthy I know he will be a fighter!

    BDD - I can't really call myself a triathlete anymore since my bike was stolen :( - I did my first triathlon in 2008 - it was a sprint and I LOVED it! I'm strongest in the swim, weakest in the bike, and I enjoy the running the most. I am saving my pennies to buy a new bike and get back in though - I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete